Monday, April 13, 2009

The Kite Runner

Sometime in late 2003 we were visiting my husband's parents.

My father-in-law handed me the copy of The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini that he just finished and said it was excellent and I should read it.

I brought it home and put it on my bedside table.

It has pretty much lived on my bedside table for five and a half years.

Between then and now I would say no less than 20 other people have recommended The Kite Runner to me. They even made a movie out of it. I kept thinking, I'll read it next, I'll read it next.

This week I read it.

It was a heart wrenching tale. You've probably already, but if not it is a story about the trials of an Afghani boy who becomes a man in very difficult times. It is a story about deception and redemption.




I don't want to give the plot away - I can't stand that type of book review, but I will say this - all those people who told me what a wonderful book it was were telling the truth. Once I got through the first couple of chapters, Hosseini sucked me in and kept me reading.

I should have read it six years ago.

No comments:

 
Site Meter