Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Sarah Reviews Wolf Trap's Children's Theatre-in-the-Woods

This morning I took The Goon Squad to Wolf Trap to see the Maryland Youth Ballet do a performance of "Caroline Goes to the Zoo".

Outdoor theatre is a fantastic way to introduce your kids to the arts, and my kids really enjoyed watching other kids performing. We especially enjoyed the question answer period at the end when the children got to ask the dancers questions and it came out that the Maryland Youth Ballet had a "Men's Program". My son was very excited that there were men in ballet and male ballet teachers.

I've been telling him for years that ballet isn't just for girls and now he finally believes me.

It was a cool venue.



I was fairly disappointed in the other parents. People were coming in during the entire performance and talking. At least five people showed up so late that the show was already over, but the dancers were good and it was a cute show.

Some people stayed for a puppet show, but as much as we would have enjoyed it, there were 45 minutes between shows and it was just too much time for my kids to sit still in the heat, with the bugs, with no food or drink.

We'll go back, but next time I will come prepared. They say no food or drink, but 80% of the other parents had snacks in their bags and their kids were doing really well. Check it out, but wait for a day where it is under 90 degrees.



Photography is not allowed (not that it stopped the other mothers) so pictures courtesy of Wolf Trap.

No comments:

 
Site Meter